Orchestrated throttling of Kazakh opposition weekly

first_img RSF_en November 28, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Orchestrated throttling of Kazakh opposition weekly October 30, 2020 Find out more News KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia News to go further KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on Kazakhstan Reporters Without Borders condemns the judicial persecution of the opposition weekly ADAM bol, which was ordered to pay an exorbitant fine yesterday and which was suspended last week in connection with another case that a court began hearing today. Freedom of information has been in a critical state in Kazakhstan for the past two years and ADAM bol, which was launched in October 2013, is just the latest media outlet to be the target of sham judicial proceedings that usually result in their closure.The case that was the subject of today’s hearing was brought by the municipal authorities of Almaty, the business capital, over an article about Ukraine they called “pro-war propaganda.” They are seeking the withdrawal of the weekly’s licence and its definitive closure. Without hearing any arguments, the court suspended ADAM bol on 20 November and banned any further issues until it issues a decision.In yesterday’s case, Almaty’s highest appeal court ordered ADAMDAR, the company that owns ADAM bol, to pay 5 million tenge (22,000 euros) in damages to the deputy imam of Almaty’s main mosque, who sued the newspaper over a February article headlined “The Kazakh front in Syria’s war.”Originally set at 2.5 million tenge (11,000 euros), the damages were reduced on appeal to 500,000 tenge (2,200 euros) but the Court of Cassation yesterday ordered a tenfold increase.“ ADAM bol’s provisional suspension and the exorbitant damages award against it are out of all proportion and could end up throttling the weekly economically,” said Johann Bihr, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk.“When you add all the procedural irregularities, it is clear that this weekly is just the latest victim of a campaign by the authorities to eradicate all critical media. We urge the justice system to act in an independent manner for once and to grant ADAM bol the right to due process.”The August article that is the subject of today’s proceedings and already led to the weekly’s suspension was an interview with political activist Aydos Sadykov headlined “Our compatriots in a foreign war.” It was about the creation of an “international brigade” to participate in the operations by the Ukraine armed forces in the eastern Donbas region.Co-president of the “Maidan” International League, Sadykov emigrated with his family to Ukraine in April after his wife, opposition journalist Natalya Sadykova, was accused of defamation by a former parliamentarian and was facing a possible three-year jail sentence.The suspension order was issued at a hearing that no ADAM bol representative attended because the weekly’s staff was unaware of the lawsuit. Its journalists were stunned to see court bailiffs arrive at the newspaper on the afternoon of 20 November without any official warrant, and they had wait several hours before being given a copy of the complaint.The 16,000 copies of the newspaper that were to have been distributed the next day were confiscated that evening. The company that prints the newspaper ruled out any attempt to reprint the issue or print any further issues as too dangerous.ADAM bol’s Facebook page has also been blocked and articles describing these events on various news sites such as Radio Azattyk and even the site of the free speech organization Adil Soz were rendered inaccessible for several days.The weekly’s founder and editor, Guljan Yergaliyeva, says a local official would not have had the resources for such a show of force and suggests that only the most senior Kazakh officials or possibly even Russian ones could have been behind it.This is not her first taste of this kind of treatment. She was already subjected to Kafkaesque harassment when editing the ADAM reader’s news website in 2011 and the Guljan.org news website in 2012.In today’s hearing, the plaintiffs were unable to say which phrases in the article constituted “war propaganda.” The court nonetheless rejected all the defence requests. The next hearing in this case is scheduled for 5 December.The Ukrainian crisis has alarmed Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev’s regime, which sees it as grounds for eliminating what is left of any pluralism in Kazakhstan. The authorities have been using the compliant judicial system to persecute the remaining critical news outlets since the closure of the main national opposition media in December 2012.Two other opposition weeklies, Pravdivaya Gazeta and Assandi Times, have been banned on spurious grounds in recent months.Kazakhstan is ranked 161st out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index.(Photos: Kazis Toguzbaev / RFE/RL – Madina Kuanova / Novaya Gazeta) Organisation Reporters prevented from covering Kazakh parliamentary elections Kazakh reporter accuses police of attacking her February 5, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information News Regional newspaper editor harassed after investigating real estate scandal News Receive email alerts January 15, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Limerick start-up wants to help grow your service business

first_imgFacebook Limerick company Skillrig has big expansion plansLimerick start-up Skillrig is creating a buzz as it aims to grow SMEs by providing a platform for introducing customers to local, rated professionals.LIMERICK start-up Skillrig has only recently launched, but is already creating quite a buzz around the city it is understood as it aims to grow small to medium sized business’ across Ireland by providing an online platform that introduces customers to local, rated professionals.The services included on the platform are quite varied and include trades, health and fitness, photography, a beauty section and more. This list is set to expand over time to include an even wider range of services covering such areas as web design and event planning.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Skillrig company founders Ross Gallivan and Charley CollingBusiness co-founders, Charley Colling and Ross Gallivan, recently returned from a four year stint in Vancouver, Canada, where the idea was initially conceived. Once back in Ireland, the two Limerick men felt that it would be a worthwhile concept to further explore.Charley explains, “There are many websites out there that provide listings of professionals with a name and a number, but that is all they do. We want to change that by providing, real-time pricing, ratings and a personalised introduction.”Skillrigs business model is simple and completely free for customers. You fill out a short form detailing the service you are looking for. Within 24 hours you will receive up to 5 personalised quotes from professionals that are available and want to take on your job. You simply choose the pro that is the best match for you.Ross Gallivan describes how the platform works from the professionals point of view. “Professionals can sign up for free and potential new customers are sent to their inbox at no cost. We’re giving them a platform to browse a list of customers allowing them to choose their best match.” At this stage, Skillrig charge a small fee if the professional would like to get introduced to the customer.The service is currently available in Limerick and is initially focused on signing up professionals to meet customer demand. Expansion is planned however with the duo optimistic that they can offer the service in additional areas in the months to come.For more info, visit www.skillrig.com and sign up for free the co-owners have urged. Advertisement TAGSbusinessCharley CollinglimerickRoss GallivanSkillrig Previous articleTwo arrested over high speed chase in Limerick cityNext articleVideo story competition to boost support for local charities Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Emailcenter_img WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR BusinessNewsLimerick start-up wants to help grow your service businessBy Staff Reporter – September 27, 2016 937 Print Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter Linkedin Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clashlast_img read more

Christmas teas from Drury

first_imgThe Drury Tea & Coffee Company has launched a range of Christmas teas and infusions. The loose teas include Christmas Flavoured Black tea and Christmas Flavoured Green tea in 125g packs, as well as Christmas Rooibos Infusion and Christmas Cookie Infusion in 100g packs. The black tea features apple, cinnamon; almonds, star anise and vanilla. The green tea features ice crystal sprinkles, pink peppercorns, chocolate chips and clove buds. Cinnamon, orange blossom, blackberry leaves, cardamom seeds, ginger clove buds and safflower are included in the Rooibos infusion, while the Cookie Infusion features apple pieces, hibiscus, rosehip, orange pieces, cinnamon and ginger and cloves.RRP: £1.60 to £2.10 for leaf teas and infusionswww.shopdrury.comlast_img read more

Carlos Celdran’s Livin’ La Vida Imelda Begins Previews Off-Broadway

first_img View Comments Show Closed This production ended its run on Nov. 23, 2014 Related Shows Livin’ La Vida Imelda explores cultural sensation that has surrounded the life of Imelda Marcos, the former First Lady of the Philippines. Celdran has performed the solo show at site-specific locations across the Philippines over the years. Livin’ La Vida Imelda, which is written and performed by Carlos Celdran, will begin performances on October 31 off-Broadway. Presented by Ma-Yi Theater Company, the production will play in repertory with Chairs and a Long Table at the Clurman Theater at Theatre Row. The production is directed by Ralph B. Peña and will officially open on November 5. Livin’ La Vida Imeldalast_img read more

Contract Awarded for Corps Island Dredged Material Unloading Project

first_imgThe U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, awarded a $7.475 million contract September 24, 2018, to Dubuque Barge & Fleeting Services, Co. to carry-out a Corps Island Dredged Material Unloading project.The project involves unloading approximately 500,000 cubic yards of dredged material from Corps Island, located in Pool 3 of the Mississippi River, near Diamond Bluff, Wisconsin.The contractor is removing the material by mechanical and/or hydraulic means.HistoryCorps Island was endorsed for use as a dredged material placement site by the River Resources Forum in December 1995, as recommended in the 1995 Lower Pool 3 Reconnaissance Report prepared by USACE. The report recommends that channel maintenance material be placed on Corps Island until site capacity is reached – approximately 500,000 cubic yards – then transferred (unloaded) to an upland placement site.Since 1995 Corps Island has been used to manage more than 1 million cubic yards of dredged material. To date, there have been 24 placement events and 2 major site unloads in 1998 and 2011.ProjectIn November 2017 the St. Paul District began to prepare contract plans and specifications for the third major site unload of Corps Island. It was anticipated that approximately 500,000 cubic yards of material would need to be unloaded. The contract was written to give the awarded contractors flexibility with how material could be removed from Corps Island, allowing mechanical, hydraulic or a combination of both.USACE is currently establishing permanent placement sites via long-term Dredge Material Management Plans. However this work has not been completed in Pool 3, resulting in an immediate need to unload Corps Island.Work is anticipated to begin in the spring of 2019 and be complete by December 2019.last_img read more

McGinley handed Olympics role

first_imgRyder Cup-winning captain Paul McGinley will once again lead Rory McIlroy into major competition after being announced as a leader of Ireland’s Olympic golf team for the Rio de Janeiro Games in 2016. The 47-year-old from Dublin led Europe to Ryder Cup victory at Gleneagles in September and was hailed by McIlroy, the Belfast-born world number one who has opted to play for Ireland in Rio. Following the Ryder Cup success, McIlroy said: “He has just been the most wonderful captain. I think I speak on behalf of all the 12 players and say he couldn’t have done anything else. He was fantastic. Press Associationcenter_img “From the first day we got here, the speeches that he gave, the videos he showed us, the people that he got in to talk to us, the imagery in the team room, it all tied in together. “It was all part of the plan, all for the cause of trying to win this Ryder Cup, and he was meticulous in his planning. He left no stone unturned.” The Olympic Council of Ireland announced 17 leaders, including: McGinley (golf), Kevin Ankrom (athletics), Joseph Hennigan (boxing), Brian Nugent (cycling), Sally Filmer (gymnastics), Mike Heskin (hockey), Peter Banks (swimming). Also named were Tom Reidy (badminton), Ike Jacob (canoeing), Jeffrey C McCready (clay pigeon shooting), Triona Connors (horse sport), Ciaran Ward (judo), Lindsey Weedon (modern pentathlon), Morten Espersen (rowing), Gillian McDarby (rugby sevens), James O’Callaghan (sailing) and Chris Kitchen (triathlon). The leaders are “the person having the overall responsibility for that sport”, the Olympic Council of Ireland said. “They will also be accountable for their athletes’ performance at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, under the overall leadership of the Team Ireland chef de Mmssion, Kevin Kilty.” last_img read more

Dodgers continue homer barrage at Angels’ expense

first_imgANAHEIM >> JC Ramirez seemed to be on his way to his second consecutive strong start to finish an otherwise difficult month.Then the Dodgers abused him in a way they’ve been abusing pitchers all month. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The barrage of homers turned the night quickly for Ramirez. The Angels’ starter had allowed just one unearned run in the first four innings.After Utley’s homer, the second solo shot of the fifth, made it 3-1, the Dodgers had enough runs, with Clayton Kershaw on the mound.The Dodgers ace was sharp, as usual, allowing just an unearned run in seven innings. He allowed three hits and struck out 12.“Tonight was another step in the right direction,” Kershaw said. “I threw everything pretty decently, a few fastball mistakes but overall I’ll take tonight for sure.”In the fifth inning, he narrowly missed what would have been his first career “immaculate” inning: three strikeouts on nine pitches. He struck out the first two batters on six pitches, but his 0-and-2 pitch to Cliff Pennington was just high. He struck Pennington out on his 10th pitch of the inning.That was a decisive shutdown inning in between the two innings in which the Dodgers grabbed a comfortable lead.In the sixth, Justin Turner singled and Cody Bellinger doubled. With one out, Pederson hit a hanging slider over the right-field fence, extending the lead to 6-1.Ramirez said he couldn’t get his curve to work, which left him in a difficult spot, forced to only use his slider and sinker to lefties. Both break in to the lefties.“I just couldn’t get ahead with my curveball,” Ramirez said. “I tried everything I could, but I didn’t have it today. That was a game-changer for me.”The record-breaking 50th homer – with one game left this month, on Friday in San Diego – was Pederson’s sixth homer in the past 16 games, since he returned from a concussion.Two batters later, Puig hit a ball off Ramirez’s leg, and that ended his night.Ramirez was charged with six runs in 5-2/3 innings, ending a June in which he posted a 7.04 ERA. Ramirez had struggled for most of the month, but he felt he had turned a corner when he gave up one run in six innings last time out, against the Boston Red Sox. The rough month has raised his season ERA from 3.38 to 4.60.“It’s been pretty hard,” Ramirez said. “I hope July will come with good things.”Ramirez would have needed to be at his very best to outduel Kershaw.The only run the Angels scored against the left-hander came courtesy of two Dodgers mistakes.After Kershaw faced the minimum nine Angels in the first three innings, he gave up a leadoff single to Cameron Maybin in the fourth. Left fielder Trayce Thompson muffed the ball, though, allowing Maybin to take an extra 90 feet to get into scoring position. Kole Calhoun then moved him to third with a ground ball.With the infield drawn in, Albert Pujols hit a routine grounder to shortstop Corey Seager. Maybin was going on contact, forcing Seager to make a quick, accurate throw. His throw was up the first-base line, and Maybin slid home safely.The Angels didn’t sniff another run while Kershaw was in the game.“As good as he was early, he turned it up a couple notches,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “He just has that ability where sometimes things might not go right, and the great pitchers that I’ve seen have a way of taking it into their own hands and ramping up the intensity.”After Kershaw was out, the Angels threatened. In the eighth, they had the potential tying run at the plate. With one out, Manager Mike Scioscia called on Luis Valbuena to pinch-hit with the bases loaded against Brandon Morrow, picking him even though he had Andrelton Simmons available. Valbuena struck out.Scioscia explained that he liked the matchup with Valbuena there, because he had the potential to draw a walk – he swung at a 3-and-1 pitch that might have been ball four – or hit a homer. Scioscia also said he had other plans for Simmons.“We just never got to some of the things that could happen,” Scioscia said.It is possible that Scioscia wanted to save Simmons to bat against closer Kenley Jansen if the inning had continued. Simmons is 3 for 5 with a homer in his career against Jansen.Jansen came in and finished the eighth, retiring Martin Maldonado on a long flyout, and then the Angels didn’t get a baserunner against him in the ninth.center_img Yasiel Puig, Chase Utley and Joc Pederson hit homers in a span of eight batters, snapping a tie in the Dodgers’ 6-2 victory over the Angels on Thursday night before a divided, raucous sellout crowd of 44,807 at Angel Stadium.The Dodgers raised their June homer total to 50, most for any month in franchise history. They broke the record of 49, set by the Brooklyn Dodgers in two separate months in 1953.“I think we have a lot of good hitters,” Pederson said. “Hitting’s contagious.”last_img read more