A teacher at one of Britain’s leading boys’ schools has been arrested on suspicion of sexual misconduct with pupils.Surrey Police are investigating after Hampton School, which charges £20,000-a-year, reported him to the authorities.The member of staff was sacked from the 450-year-old south-west London school following an internal disciplinary probe earlier this year.Hampton School, which educates boys aged 11 to 18, is among the highest performing for GCSEs and A-levels in the country.Its alumni – known as Old Hamptonians – include Lord Kenneth Baker, who was education secretary in Margaret Thatcher’s government, and Brian May, the guitarist in the rock band Queen. It boasts one of the top rowing clubs in the country and counts two Olympic Gold-winning oarsmen – Greg Searle and Jonny Searle – among its former pupils.Founded in 1557, when the businessman and local brewer Robert Hammond bequeathed land and property for a school, it became a grammar school in 1910 but changed to independent status in 1975.A spokesman for the school said: “The welfare of all pupils at Hampton School is always our highest priority.“As soon as we became aware of concerns, we immediately informed all the relevant authorities. We have been working very closely with them ever since. The welfare of all pupils at Hampton School is always our highest priority.Hampton School spokesperson “The member of staff was dismissed with immediate effect following an internal disciplinary investigation. Given the continuing police investigation, it would not be appropriate to say more at this point.”The school says on its website that The Hampton School Trust takes the safety and wellbeing of its pupils “very seriously”.“The School fully recognises the contribution it makes to the safeguarding of children and the responsibility it has to have arrangements in place to safeguard and promote the welfare of children,” it adds.Earlier this week, a teacher at Christ’s Hospital School was convicted of assaulting eight of his pupils.Five teachers from the school, which charges £35,000-a-year for boarders, have now been prosecuted after police investigated complaints made by 22 former students.On Thursday the school apologised to victims and praised their courage in reporting the abuse. In a statement it said: “The actions of these men were not only criminal but also an utter betrayal of the trust placed in them and of the values of Christ’s Hospital.”While the school is “worlds apart” from that described in court, with a range of safeguarding measures now in place, the cases served as a “brutal reminder” there is no room for “complacency”, it said. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.