PORT ANTONIO: The local canoe tournament, the highlight for local residents in the Port Antonio Blue Marlin tournament, lived up to its expectations on Wednesday with the landing of a Blue Marlin by Caiphas McLeggon, captain of the boat Conqueror. McLeggon, who is from the neighbouring parish of St Mary, said that it took him 25 gruelling minutes to conquer the 136lb blue marlin and bring it safely on board. “It was a tough fight,” commented McLeggon. “When I felt the bite, I knew it was a marlin and it was probably a big one. We were just off the coast of St Margaret’s Bay when the fish grabbed my line, but I was prepared for the fight. It is not my first marlin, as about four years ago I landed a 520lb marlin. Three of us were onboard, and my colleagues assisted me with getting the fish into the boat, ” he added. Forty-five canoes participated in the one-day tournament, which saw the winning team capturing a trophy and a cash prize. The Port Antonio Blue Marlin tournament resumed yesterday with its fleet of 26 boats. So far, 13 marlins have been tagged and released in four days of competition. The tournament concludes today with a prize-giving ceremony, along with a grand farewell party this evening at the Old Marina in Port Antonio.
Liberia has been de-listed from the United States Government’s Defense Department’s imminent danger area. This means that Liberia’s territorial limit no longer poses any threat or threat coming from Liberia toward any US military service personnel “has been significantly reduced.”In a release, the Defense Department said: “Today, the Defense Department announced the recertification of some locations as imminent danger pay areas while discontinuing that designation for others. A periodic review and recertification was conducted for Imminent Danger Pay (IDP) purposes and was made in coordination with the joint staff, combatant commands and military services. The combatant commands conducted in-depth threat assessments for countries within their areas of responsibility. Following the Defense Department’s review, it was determined that the imminent threat of physical harm to U.S. military personnel due to civil insurrection, civil war, terrorism, or wartime conditions has been significantly reduced in many countries. As a result, IDP will be discontinued in those areas. IDP is authorized in areas designated by the Defense Department. Periodic recertification of IDP ensures that imminent danger designations match the actual conditions of designated countries so that the department can provide fair entitlements and benefits. The last recertification was completed in 2007.The following locations will no longer be designated as imminent danger areas for IDP purposes, effective June 1, 2014:• The nine land areas of East Timor, Haiti, Liberia, Oman, Rwanda, Tajikistan, United Arab Emirates, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. • The six land areas and airspace above Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, and Montenegro. • The four water areas of the Arabian Sea, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman, and the Red Sea.• The water area and air space above the Persian Gulf.IDP will remain in effect for Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Jordan, Pakistan, Syria, Yemen, and Egypt within the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Dear Editor,Guyanese need to start ratcheting up the pressure on the David Granger APNU/AFC Government. It is dastardly and diabolical that David Granger refuses to call General Elections after the No-Confidence Motion was passed against the Government.It is not the case that the PPP/C makes a better alternative with Irfaan Ali as the presidential candidate with Bharrat Jagdeo pulling strings behind the scene.The case is that the APNU/AFC are wannabe dictators and must be resisted.The fact is that David Granger (as President) anointed retired Justice James Patterson as Chairman of GECOM who now votes with the APNU/AFC Government Commissioners on GECOM.Some of us PPP/C supporters gave the APNU/AFC the benefit of the doubt but enough is enough, time to rid ourselves of these wannabe dictators.Yours faithfully,Sean Ori
“It’s a small thing,” Real coach Zinedine Zidane said afterwards. “He is a bit worried, right now the ankle is a bit swollen, but he said it is not so bad.”Gerard Pique’s challenge had come as Ronaldo cancelled out Luis Suarez’s opener before Sergi Roberto was sent off on the stroke of half-time for an altercation with Real defender Marcelo.Barca, however, took the lead in the second half as Messi scored a brilliant individual goal only for Gareth Bale, who could earlier have been sent off, to have the last word in a thrilling Clasico, his emphatic strike earning Real a deserved draw.After initially taking treatment, Ronaldo played on for 31 minutes here before Zidane decided to substitute him at half-time, which may at least offer Real encouragement.“It’s just the movement, tomorrow we’ll see,” Zidane told Movistar. “The Champions League final? We’re going to do everything to make it.”Fears this meeting, which meant little in terms of the table, might lack intensity proved well wide of the mark as a pulsating contest, littered with controversy, could have been won at either end right up until the final whistle.Ronaldo’s injury, however, coupled with Barcelona avoiding defeat, despite playing a man down for the whole of the second half, meant the Catalans departed the happier side.Ernesto Valverde’s men, already crowned champions, are now three matches away from becoming the first team ever to finish a 38-game La Liga season unbeaten.Andres Iniesta overcame, or perhaps ignored, a niggling calf problem to play his 38th and final Clasico while Philippe Coutinho was picked to start his first. Iniesta went off to a standing ovation in the second half.Barca exploded out of the blocks and they were ahead within 10 minutes. Suarez swept the ball out to the right where Sergi ignored Messi’s run to the near post and returned the cross deep to Suarez. He finished into the bottom corner.– Equaliser comes at a cost –The lead, however, lasted four minutes. Just as Suarez initiated his goal, so did Ronaldo, a neat backheel freeing Toni Kroos, who found Karim Benzema at the back post. The Frenchman was cool enough to head back into the six-yard box, where Ronaldo bundled home.Ronaldo took treatment but was able temporarily to continue and could twice have given Real the lead. His first shot was saved by Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, the second fired wide of the far post.In between, Messi had played in Jordi Alba with a sumptuous ball over the top but even he lost his cool during five mad minutes at the end of the first period.Suarez felt he had been elbowed by Sergio Ramos, prompting the first round of scuffles, before Messi was booked for flying into the defender on the touchline.Bale was then lucky not to be sent off for stabbing his studs into Samuel Umtiti’s calf and moments later Sergi did see red, as he threw a hand into the face of Marcelo.The home fans were raging as the half-time whistle blew but, with Marco Asensio on for Ronaldo, they were celebrating eight minutes after the restart.Suarez’s blatant kick on Raphael Varane went unpunished and from there it was all about Messi. He skipped away first from Ramos, and then Casemiro, before firing into the bottom corner.Even Zidane was smiling on the touchline.Real struggled to capitalise on their one-man advantage until the 72nd minute, when Bale raced onto Asensio’s pass and whipped the ball first-time into the top corner. It was the Welshman’s 15th goal in 24 matches this year.Real should have had a late penalty when Alba cleared out Marcelo but referee Alejandro Jose Hernandez Hernandez somehow decided the challenge was clean. It was the final controversy of a surprisingly heated derby.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Lionel Messi bagged his 33rd league goal of the season as Barcelona drew with arch rivals Real Madrid © AFP / LLUIS GENEBARCELONA, Spain, May 6 – Lionel Messi weaved his magic to keep 10-man Barcelona’s unbeaten season alive as a 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou on Sunday left Real Madrid sweating over an injury to Cristiano Ronaldo.Ronaldo was forced off at half-time after appearing to hurt his ankle and Real will be hoping their star striker can now recover in time for the Champions League final against Liverpool on May 26.