Small boat lands big marlin

first_imgPORT ANTONIO: The local canoe tournament, the highlight for local residents in the Port Antonio Blue Marlin tournament, lived up to its expectations on Wednesday with the landing of a Blue Marlin by Caiphas McLeggon, captain of the boat Conqueror. McLeggon, who is from the neighbouring parish of St Mary, said that it took him 25 gruelling minutes to conquer the 136lb blue marlin and bring it safely on board. “It was a tough fight,” commented McLeggon. “When I felt the bite, I knew it was a marlin and it was probably a big one. We were just off the coast of St Margaret’s Bay when the fish grabbed my line, but I was prepared for the fight. It is not my first marlin, as about four years ago I landed a 520lb marlin. Three of us were onboard, and my colleagues assisted me with getting the fish into the boat, ” he added. Forty-five canoes participated in the one-day tournament, which saw the winning team capturing a trophy and a cash prize. The Port Antonio Blue Marlin tournament resumed yesterday with its fleet of 26 boats. So far, 13 marlins have been tagged and released in four days of competition. The tournament concludes today with a prize-giving ceremony, along with a grand farewell party this evening at the Old Marina in Port Antonio.last_img read more

Miner killed after drunken argument

first_img– reportedly beaten with a spadeA 53-year-old father of one is now dead after he was beaten with a spade at the Potaro Backdam, Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni), following a drunken argument. The 35-year-old suspect is in custody assisting the Police with their investigation.According to reports, Mohabeer Gangadeen Kooblall of GAC Old Road, Timehri, East Bank Demerara, was imbibing at Potaro Backdam with his coworker when an argument ensued. F Division (Interior locations) Commander, Senior Superintendent Ravindranauth Budhram told this publication that during the argument, the suspect picked up a spade and dealt h Kooblall several blows in his head and about his body.The incident occurred on Saturday between 17:30h and 18:00h and Kooblall died immediately. Budhram said the Police responded promptly after receiving the call and the suspect was apprehended and taken into custody.The dead man’s mother, Ramdasie Ramlall, said her son called her at around 12:30h telling her that he needed to come home since he was in the area for over four months. She said that her son is a miner and a cook and that the dredge he was working on was closed for a few weeks but his employer, Alvin Rambarran, allegedly refused to transport him out of the area.“Them leff he inside to watchman (guard) this dredge and when me ask he who and he deh pon the drudge, he tell me he and a next man and me must call the boss man (since) he want come out from the bush. He nah want stay deh no more pon the water top,” the grieving 71-year-old said.She related that later that evening, she received a call that her daughter took but they refused to divulge any information pertaining to the call.“I hear that me son get murder. That is all and until now me hear nothing from the boss man and me nah hear nothing about me son life and they come and say that they want he brother to go and one of me grandson to bring back he body,” Ramlall lamented.The grieving woman said her son has been working in the mining industry for over 20 years and have been working with the Rambarran’s for over 15 years.Kooblall was the sole breadwinner and took care of his mother. His body is being transported to Georgetown for a post-mortem examination, while Police investigations are ongoing. (Lakhram Baghirat)last_img read more