PORT ANTONIO: The local canoe tournament, the highlight for local residents in the Port Antonio Blue Marlin tournament, lived up to its expectations on Wednesday with the landing of a Blue Marlin by Caiphas McLeggon, captain of the boat Conqueror. McLeggon, who is from the neighbouring parish of St Mary, said that it took him 25 gruelling minutes to conquer the 136lb blue marlin and bring it safely on board. “It was a tough fight,” commented McLeggon. “When I felt the bite, I knew it was a marlin and it was probably a big one. We were just off the coast of St Margaret’s Bay when the fish grabbed my line, but I was prepared for the fight. It is not my first marlin, as about four years ago I landed a 520lb marlin. Three of us were onboard, and my colleagues assisted me with getting the fish into the boat, ” he added. Forty-five canoes participated in the one-day tournament, which saw the winning team capturing a trophy and a cash prize. The Port Antonio Blue Marlin tournament resumed yesterday with its fleet of 26 boats. So far, 13 marlins have been tagged and released in four days of competition. The tournament concludes today with a prize-giving ceremony, along with a grand farewell party this evening at the Old Marina in Port Antonio.
NORTH SOUND, Antigua (CMC):Jamaica Scorpions narrowly stuck their noses in front, but opener Montcin Hodge then struck a second innings unbeaten half-century to ensure there was no Leeward Islands Hurricanes collapse, as the sixth-round first-class encounter remained open heading into today’s third day.Beginning the day on 54 for four in response to Hurricanes’ 155 all out on the Thursday’s opening day, Scorpions were on the verge of surrendering a healthy first-innings lead when they crashed to 103 for nine at the Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium.However, the last pair of Sheldon Cottrell and Damion Jacobs defied the Hurricanes attack to add an invaluable 55, to help Scorpions eke out a three-run first-innings lead.Cottrell was the more aggressive, striking the top score of 37 with a four and three sixes, while Jacobs finished on 15 not out.Off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall was the best bowler with five for 74, while seamers Jeremiah Louis (2-16) and Gavin Tonge (2-27) finished with two wickets apiece.Hodge then gathered an attractive 62 to carry Hurricanes to the close on 124 for three – a lead of 121 at the end of the second day.They started poorly, however, losing Sherwin Peters for six at 24 for one, but Hodge then anchored two stands to consolidate the innings.He put on 40 for the second wicket with Trinidadian import Daron Cruickshank, a partnership which took Hurricanes to tea at 54 for one.Cruikshank made 20 before perishing in the fourth over following the resumption.Hodge then joined Jamaican Nkrumah Bonner (18) to put on a further 47 for the third wicket before Bonner fell lbw to leg-spinner Jacobs near the close.
The Chairman of Ganta City Council (GCC), Amos Gbatu, has disclosed plans to honor the business community for their cooperation with the ongoing infrastructural development activities affecting the city.Mr. Gbatu, told the Daily Observer in an interview in Ganta recently, that members of the business community headed by Madison Gausi of the Wingus Business Center, have demonstrated a sense of ownership toward the infrastructural development currently ongoing in Ganta.He said the Council through the former City Mayor, now Nimba County Development Superintendent, Dorr Cooper, designed a policy requiring businesses on Ganta’s main street to transition from ground-level units to flat roof storey buildings as the newly dedicated road from Gbarnga to the Guinea border signifies the importance of modern structures in the city.The business community, Mr. Gbatu said, has adhered to this policy and has gone the extra mile, erecting storey buildings along the main street. It may be recalled that while the recently dedicated road from Gbarnga to the Guinea border was reaching Ganta, the council announced a policy compelling every property owner on the main street to build flat roof buildings when the road enters the city.Members of the Ganta Business Community at the time were hesitant to accept the policy because most of them were leasing the parcels of land their businesses were occupying. They also argued that resettlement packages offered by government, for the demolished structures, were claimed by their landlords and as such they could not risk their capital to further invest in the business.However, when the City Council and the City Corporation persisted and warned non-compliant businesses to leave the main street, business owners finally consented. In his acknowledgement to the business community, Mr. Gbatu said, “It was not easy for us to convince the business people about this costly venture, but Mr. Madison Gausi (also known as Gausi Boy) first took the bold step and erected his flat roof and others began to follow.“In fact,” Gbatu added, “they are going beyond our imagination and most of them are building storey buildings here as you can see, and we the Ganta City Council members together with the Mayor and city corporation are planning to publicly appreciate the business community for this tremendous work.”According to the GCC Chairman, the business community has made Ganta a model from which other Liberians can learn to foster development.He said though the venture is capital intensive, these local investors are highly motivated do it now because they are seeing the impact. The council, also realizing the progress, needs to show gratitude to them by giving them public recognition.“When the President came here to dedicate the road, she was shocked by the level of development here and began to tell people in other places in Liberia to see Ganta and learn from it. It’s all because the business community adhered to our advice and are carrying on this development, and we will surely give the public recognition for their patriotic and nationalistic approach to development,” he emphasized.City Mayor Doopkah expressed support for the Council’s idea, calling it “important”, because cooperation from the business community and the residents of Ganta is enormous.Madison Gausi said in a telephone interview that such recognition will not only be for the business community, but for all Liberians living in Ganta and making meaningful contributions toward the development of the municipality.He said though it is financially burdensome to do what they are doing, the Ganta City Council and City Corporation also did well to bring out the proposal and enforce it.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A 24-year-old woman was taken before Principle Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on Tuesday to answer to the charge of wounding.Natasha Henry is accused of stabbing a police officer during a dispute.It is alleged that on April 11, 2019, Henry, of Baramita village, Region One (Barima-Waini), unlawfully wounded Princess Bentick, a police officer.The prosecution is contending that the mother of four approached the police officer and confronted her about a mutual male friend. During the confrontation, Henry armed herself with a glass bottle, broke it and proceeded to attack the VC. The prosecution’s case stated that the VC turned to walk away when an angry Henry broke two more bottles and launched another attack on the policewoman. The woman received several cuts about her body and leg and she was then rushed to the medical centre in the area. The police prosecutor objected to bail based on the seriousness of the offence.Henry was remanded to prison and the case will continue on May 7, 2019.
– Advertisement –
“It’s a small thing,” Real coach Zinedine Zidane said afterwards. “He is a bit worried, right now the ankle is a bit swollen, but he said it is not so bad.”Gerard Pique’s challenge had come as Ronaldo cancelled out Luis Suarez’s opener before Sergi Roberto was sent off on the stroke of half-time for an altercation with Real defender Marcelo.Barca, however, took the lead in the second half as Messi scored a brilliant individual goal only for Gareth Bale, who could earlier have been sent off, to have the last word in a thrilling Clasico, his emphatic strike earning Real a deserved draw.After initially taking treatment, Ronaldo played on for 31 minutes here before Zidane decided to substitute him at half-time, which may at least offer Real encouragement.“It’s just the movement, tomorrow we’ll see,” Zidane told Movistar. “The Champions League final? We’re going to do everything to make it.”Fears this meeting, which meant little in terms of the table, might lack intensity proved well wide of the mark as a pulsating contest, littered with controversy, could have been won at either end right up until the final whistle.Ronaldo’s injury, however, coupled with Barcelona avoiding defeat, despite playing a man down for the whole of the second half, meant the Catalans departed the happier side.Ernesto Valverde’s men, already crowned champions, are now three matches away from becoming the first team ever to finish a 38-game La Liga season unbeaten.Andres Iniesta overcame, or perhaps ignored, a niggling calf problem to play his 38th and final Clasico while Philippe Coutinho was picked to start his first. Iniesta went off to a standing ovation in the second half.Barca exploded out of the blocks and they were ahead within 10 minutes. Suarez swept the ball out to the right where Sergi ignored Messi’s run to the near post and returned the cross deep to Suarez. He finished into the bottom corner.– Equaliser comes at a cost –The lead, however, lasted four minutes. Just as Suarez initiated his goal, so did Ronaldo, a neat backheel freeing Toni Kroos, who found Karim Benzema at the back post. The Frenchman was cool enough to head back into the six-yard box, where Ronaldo bundled home.Ronaldo took treatment but was able temporarily to continue and could twice have given Real the lead. His first shot was saved by Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, the second fired wide of the far post.In between, Messi had played in Jordi Alba with a sumptuous ball over the top but even he lost his cool during five mad minutes at the end of the first period.Suarez felt he had been elbowed by Sergio Ramos, prompting the first round of scuffles, before Messi was booked for flying into the defender on the touchline.Bale was then lucky not to be sent off for stabbing his studs into Samuel Umtiti’s calf and moments later Sergi did see red, as he threw a hand into the face of Marcelo.The home fans were raging as the half-time whistle blew but, with Marco Asensio on for Ronaldo, they were celebrating eight minutes after the restart.Suarez’s blatant kick on Raphael Varane went unpunished and from there it was all about Messi. He skipped away first from Ramos, and then Casemiro, before firing into the bottom corner.Even Zidane was smiling on the touchline.Real struggled to capitalise on their one-man advantage until the 72nd minute, when Bale raced onto Asensio’s pass and whipped the ball first-time into the top corner. It was the Welshman’s 15th goal in 24 matches this year.Real should have had a late penalty when Alba cleared out Marcelo but referee Alejandro Jose Hernandez Hernandez somehow decided the challenge was clean. It was the final controversy of a surprisingly heated derby.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Lionel Messi bagged his 33rd league goal of the season as Barcelona drew with arch rivals Real Madrid © AFP / LLUIS GENEBARCELONA, Spain, May 6 – Lionel Messi weaved his magic to keep 10-man Barcelona’s unbeaten season alive as a 2-2 draw at the Camp Nou on Sunday left Real Madrid sweating over an injury to Cristiano Ronaldo.Ronaldo was forced off at half-time after appearing to hurt his ankle and Real will be hoping their star striker can now recover in time for the Champions League final against Liverpool on May 26.
While his immediate concern is arresting a slump that has seen the north London club slip to 14th in the Premier League, his wider brief will be to end the trophy drought which stretches back to 2009.Mourinho’s previous record of success, with 25 trophies at the likes of Real Madrid, Chelsea and Inter Milan, makes him the perfect man for the job and he has targeted a potential fourth Premier League title.Back in work after a tough spell at Manchester United ended 11 months ago, the Portuguese tactician is enthusiastic about the group of players he will work with and has backed them to be title contenders next season.“We cannot win the Premier League this season,” he said. “We can – I’m not saying we will do – we can win it next season.”Mourinho has insisted he will not need to make signings in January after revealing he tried to sign some of the Spurs squad in previous roles.“I don’t need players. I am so happy with what I have,” he said. “I just need time to understand them better and know everything about them because I always say you only know a player when you work with them. Of course, how many times have I watched these guys, how many times have I played against them?“I knew them well but you never know them well enough until you work with them and my gift is this squad because the squad is very, very good. I told them that one of the reasons why I decided to come was them.”Mourinho’s first game at the helm comes on Saturday when Spurs make the trip to the London Stadium to face West Ham.0Shares0000(Visited 14 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mourinho eyeing league title push next season. Photo/TEAMTALK MEDIALONDON, United Kingdom, Nov 22 – New Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho is convinced he will be able to challenge for the Premier League title next season.The 56-year-old has taken over from Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs following the Argentinian’s sacking earlier this week and has declared himself happy at being back in management.
SAN MARINO – Swedish cowboy Jann Eldnor wants to get back in the saddle again. Since the Tournament of Roses told Eldnor, known as “Jann of Sweden,” and his Western Group in August they’d been bumped from the 2008 Rose Parade, fans have been rallying to his support. Now Eldnor, a San Marino barber whose flamboyant presence has been a staple of the Rose Parade for nearly 20 years, has mailed a slew of letters and a petition with about 200 signatures to Tournament president CLKeedy in hopes officials will change their minds. “I knew I had many fans through the years all over the country, but I was not thinking I had so many in all different places,” said Eldnor, 63, whose trademark facial hair, silver saddle and extravagant all-white cowboy outfit makes him hard to miss along the parade route and on television. At least one supporter, Norman Marshall, is a 44-year Tournament of Roses Association member. He wrote that the Tournament “sadly missed the mark on the way this was handled.” Dr. Warren R. Procci, a Pasadena psychiatrist and psychoanalyst, wrote a letter urging the Tournament to reinstate Eldnor, calling him “vibrant and charismatic.” He pointed out the diverse nature of the riding group, which has included minorities, women, and even the terminally ill. email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Since the Tournament hasn’t yet received the 20-odd letters and the petition, no one could comment on them, said spokeswoman Caryn Eaves, who did acknowledge receiving several letters in Eldnor’s support. Brad Ratliff, chairman of the equestrian committee, said he “had no idea” a petition was coming his way, but added that the committee has “moved on from the selection process.” Eldnor and his team were removed from the line-up as part of a gradual cutback of equestrian units, leaving just 18 in the 2008 parade, down from the high 20s in past years. Keedy said at the time the move was necessary to trim the parade’s running time to two hours for television. Only the Valley Hunt Club, whose members founded the parade, and the Marine Color Guard are guaranteed a place, he said. Letters protesting Eldnor’s exclusion, several published in the Star-News, have come from as far away as Wyoming. But most are from longtime locals and Jann fans who say the parade won’t be the same without him come Jan. 1.
A total of 19 businesses in the small Inishowen village of Muff have come together to boycott Israeli goods.Cllr Jack MurraySinn Fein Councillor Jack Murray has commended the business community in the area.Councillor Murray said “I want to commend the business people in Muff who have made a principled stand against the recent Israeli assault on Gaza. People here were horrified by the images of Israeli air strikes and troops killing thousands of Palestinian civilians – hundreds of whom were children. “As such a group of local residents came together to lobby local businesses and ask theme to stand with Palestinian and boycott Israeli goods.“The feedback was fantastic and some 19 businesses agreed to sign up and refuse to sell Israeli products. This stand is reminiscent of the Irish boycott of South African goods during the apartheid era there.“I hope that this stand can be repeated throughout Ireland again and pressure can be put on Israel to recognise the human rights of the Palestinian people and finally lift the blockade.’MUFF BUSINESSES START CAMPAIGN TO BOYCOTT ISRAELI GOODS was last modified: September 3rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:boycottCllr Jack MurrayInishowenIsraelmuff
Sinn Féin justice Spokesperson Deputy Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has called on the government to take real action and change the laws on domestic violence.Speaking in advance of next week’s International 16 Days of Action Against Domestic Violence (25th November to 10th December 2012),Deputy Mac Lochlainn said “One in five women in Ireland experience domestic abuse and much of this is underreported. We need a radical overhaul of how the law deals with the issue in order to ensure that the justice system caters to the needs of abuse victims and keeps them and their children safe. “Sinn Féin supports the calls of Women’s Aid and other organisations, for the Government to urgently review domestic violence legislation including eligibility criteria for both Safety and Barring Orders, as well as addressing the lack of emergency protection when the Courts are not sitting.“It is also clear that guidelines must be introduced to improve consistency in the granting of orders and the legislation on stalking must be improved,” he said.The Donegal TD said Sinn Fein are also calling on Labour to live up to their election commitment for frontline services such as family refuges. Thousands of women and desperate situations are being turned away from refuges each year because this government have failed to provide them with adequate funding.” MACLOCHLAINN CALLS ON GOVERNMENT TO CHANGE LAWS ON DOMESTIC VIOLENCE was last modified: November 22nd, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)